Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Budget deficit forcing school officials to close Albion High School
- The top 10 high schools in Michigan (according to two magazines)
- You have to see this stunning video of Michigan's Northern Lights
- Are people in Ironwood really afraid of wolves? (part 2)
- The 15 Michigan schools running the biggest deficits
Tue December 4, 2012
Blue Cross Blue Shield legislation delayed
A state House panel has delayed a hearing, on a proposal to end the tax exempt status of Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan.
The legislation would transform the charitable trust into a customer-owned non-profit.
The House Insurance Committee Chairman says lawmakers need to work out concerns with parts of the legislation.
The committee is expected to reconvene this week.
Supporters say the proposal would modernize Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan, and allow it to be taxed and regulated as its competitors are.
Critics argue that it would reduce oversight of a company that controls 70 percent of the market.
The legislation passed the state Senate in October.
Politics & Government