Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- There's a tick boom in Michigan - Here are 5 things you should know
- Students aren’t leaving Michigan football - Michigan football is leaving them
- The 6 most dangerous neighborhoods in Michigan
- The 15 Michigan schools running the biggest deficits
- You need to see these photos of the pet coke piles in Detroit
Thu April 14, 2011
Detroit sends layoff notices to all its teachers
Layoff notices are being delivered to each and every teacher in the Detroit Public Schools.
It’s an unprecedented move for the troubled school district. Hundreds of teachers have been issued notices in previous years. But Emergency Financial Manager Robert Bobb says the circumstances are different this time around.
"This year, because of our declining student enrollment, because of the possibility of some of our schools becoming charters, and of course school closures, we decided to send layoff notices to our entire membership."
Not all employees who receive layoff notices will lose their jobs. Bobb says the final layoff number will be determined once the district knows what its budget is and how many schools it converts to charters.
The Detroit Federation of Teachers’ contract requires notice to be given to members before their jobs are cut.