Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Budget deficit forcing school officials to close Albion High School
- The top 10 high schools in Michigan (according to two magazines)
- You have to see this stunning video of Michigan's Northern Lights
- Are people in Ironwood really afraid of wolves? (part 2)
- The 15 Michigan schools running the biggest deficits
Thu September 15, 2011
How would you fix the federal budget deficit?
Congressman Fred Upton is looking for your ideas on how to reduce the federal budget deficit.
Upton is one of twelve lawmakers selected to serve on a special Congressional committee that will try to come up with a compromise on long-term spending.
Seven of the twelve lawmakers on the special committee will have to agree on a proposal in order to get it to the full Congress for approval. Last month, Upton called it “an enormous task.”
Upton Press Secretary Megan Kolassa She says they want people with ideas or opinions on how to reduce the deficit to send them via the committee’s new website.
“If you are a economics professor and have ideas on better economics of a particular issue. Or bigger ideas, whatever you have, we’re open to any of them.”
Upton will also take comments on his own webpage, at any of his offices, or over the phone.
You can watch the committee's hearing and get news about their progress a the website too.
Upton has called the federal debt is “unsustainable”.