Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- There's a tick boom in Michigan - Here are 5 things you should know
- Students aren’t leaving Michigan football - Michigan football is leaving them
- The 6 most dangerous neighborhoods in Michigan
- The 15 Michigan schools running the biggest deficits
- You need to see these photos of the pet coke piles in Detroit
Wed July 27, 2011
A look back: UAW, Detroit auto workers and labor relations
Once again Michigan Radio’s political analyst Jack Lessenberry unleashes his knowledge of Michigan history. This time we get a historical perspective about negotiations between the United Auto Workers and Detroit automakers.
Contract talks have already started between the UAW and General Motors, Chrysler and Ford. But these talks are a little different this time around.
General Motors and Chrysler both emerged from bankruptcy in the past year and the unions agreed not to strike those two automakers in a previous contract. So far, both sides appear to be approaching these negotiations with optimism. Lessenberry talks about what these negotiations were like back in the day.