Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Budget deficit forcing school officials to close Albion High School
- The top 10 high schools in Michigan (according to two magazines)
- You have to see this stunning video of Michigan's Northern Lights
- Are people in Ironwood really afraid of wolves? (part 2)
- The 15 Michigan schools running the biggest deficits
Tornado warnings issued (but is anybody paying attention?)
Tue October 26, 2010
Severe storm prompts the National Weather Service to issue tornado warnings
The National Weather Service issued numerous tornado warnings this afternoon, as severe storms rolled across Michigan. No actual tornados were confirmed.
A Michigan State University researcher says it’s time to reconsider how severe weather warnings are issued.
Research Bob Drost says only about 63 percent of people take weather warnings seriously.
"People who have previously experienced a tornado were less likely to react in a positive fashion to the warning," says Drost, "The people who had a lot of book knowledge to severe weather were actually more likely to react to the warning."
Drost says the news media is part of the problem since many programs make severe weather seem exciting, something to see, rather than seek cover.