Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Budget deficit forcing school officials to close Albion High School
- The top 10 high schools in Michigan (according to two magazines)
- You have to see this stunning video of Michigan's Northern Lights
- Are people in Ironwood really afraid of wolves? (part 2)
- The 15 Michigan schools running the biggest deficits
Fri March 30, 2012
Some Red Cross workers in Michigan go on strike
LANSING, Mich. (AP) - More than 200 American Red Cross workers in Michigan are on strike in a dispute related to contract negotiations.
Red Cross spokeswoman Monica Stoneking tells The Associated Press some blood drives have been cancelled or rescheduled because of Friday's work stoppage.
The American Red Cross Great Lakes Blood Services Region had earlier gotten notices of intent to strike from staff members represented by the Office and Professional Employees International Union Local 459 and Teamsters Local 580. The Great Lakes region covers more than 60 counties.
Stoneking says Friday marks the third time the unions have gone on strike in the past two years.
The Teamsters union said in a statement Thursday night announcing the strike that staffing concerns and health care benefits are among the reasons for the labor action.