Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- There's a tick boom in Michigan - Here are 5 things you should know
- Students aren’t leaving Michigan football - Michigan football is leaving them
- The 6 most dangerous neighborhoods in Michigan
- The 15 Michigan schools running the biggest deficits
- You need to see these photos of the pet coke piles in Detroit
Wed April 4, 2012
State financial review team approves Detroit consent agreement
A Michigan state financial review team met this afternoon and approved a proposed consent agreement with the city of Detroit.
Review team member Conrad Mallett Jr. said the proposed agreement "is the best we can do at the moment we are in," according to the Detroit Free Press.
The consent deal would keep Mayor Dave Bing and the City Council in office but impose substantial state oversight of the city’s finances. The major sticking point under a consent agreement is the reopening of union contracts.
Now its up to Detroit City Council to vote on the agreement. They are scheduled to meet today at 5 p.m. Deputy Mayor Kirk Lewis said today the thinks there are enough votes on council to pass the agreement.