Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Budget deficit forcing school officials to close Albion High School
- The top 10 high schools in Michigan (according to two magazines)
- You have to see this stunning video of Michigan's Northern Lights
- Are people in Ironwood really afraid of wolves? (part 2)
- The 15 Michigan schools running the biggest deficits
Wed February 6, 2013
Stateside: Train travel up in Michigan
The following is a summary of a previously recorded interview. To hear the complete segment, click the audio above.
More and more of us not just here in Michigan, but across the nation, are traveling by train and turning to Amtrak.
Its trains carried 31.2 million passengers in its fiscal year that ended last September.
Here in Michigan, a record-setting 793,000 people traveled on Amtrak's three routes, bringing in all-time high revenues of $27.8 million in Michigan.
What's behind our growing affection for the train?
Adie Tomar is a researcher with the Brookings Institution, a Washington-based think tank.
He joined us from Washington.