Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- There's a tick boom in Michigan - Here are 5 things you should know
- Students aren’t leaving Michigan football - Michigan football is leaving them
- The 6 most dangerous neighborhoods in Michigan
- The 15 Michigan schools running the biggest deficits
- You need to see these photos of the pet coke piles in Detroit
Wed February 13, 2013
Stockbridge series: An educational experiment on the cheap
State of Opportunity's latest story takes you inside the Exploratory Academy at Stockbridge's Heritage Elementary. It's a hands on learning experiment where kids use their hands to build things like underwater robots or a "wax-works museum" full of historical figures.
The Academy has been around since September, and so far results are good. Test scores are on track and Principal Jim Kelly says he's never had so many dads involved in school.
And the best part, it hasn't cost the district any extra money. More on how this innovation got off the ground and if it's likely to be successful at State of Opportunity.