Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Budget deficit forcing school officials to close Albion High School
- The top 10 high schools in Michigan (according to two magazines)
- You have to see this stunning video of Michigan's Northern Lights
- Are people in Ironwood really afraid of wolves? (part 2)
- The 15 Michigan schools running the biggest deficits
Tue June 19, 2012
“Vagina Monologues” attracts thousands at state Capitol (Slideshow)
A few thousand people crowded onto the lawn of the state Capitol last night to protest last week's silencing of two female state lawmakers, and to watch a performance of “The Vagina Monologues.”
Michigan Public Radio Network's Rick Pluta was there and reports that, "the word 'vagina' was everywhere – emblazoned on signs and t-shirts. 'Vagina,' and virtually every slang variation, was part of the theatrical performance. People shouted it out and waved their fingers in Vs. 'Gimme the three Vs! Vagina! Voice! Vote!'
State Representative Lisa Brown says she was surprised her sanction – a day of being silenced on the House floor – would become a national cause and a cultural event. She was punished by state House Republican leaders for a speech in which she used the word “vagina” during a heated debate on anti-abortion legislation.
State House GOP leaders say Brown and another lawmaker were punished for being uncivil. Organizers say they hope the controversy shelves the anti-abortion measures."
Politics & Government