Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Budget deficit forcing school officials to close Albion High School
- The top 10 high schools in Michigan (according to two magazines)
- You have to see this stunning video of Michigan's Northern Lights
- Are people in Ironwood really afraid of wolves? (part 2)
- The 15 Michigan schools running the biggest deficits
Thu June 7, 2012
Wayne county commissioners censure executive Ficano
DETROIT (AP) - Wayne County commissioners have censured executive Robert Ficano, whose office is under an FBI investigation and mired in allegations of corruption.
The commission approved the resolution Thursday on a 14-1 vote. Ficano is elected, and commissioners can't force him out.
Grosse Ile Democrat Joe Palamara sponsored the resolution and says "the power to elect and remove the county executive rests solely with the people."
Federal authorities began investigating county government last summer following reports of a $200,000 severance deal for a Ficano staffer.
Ex-Ficano aide David Edwards pleaded guilty last month to bribery charges involving $13,000 accepted from a private contractor.
Ficano has denied any wrongdoing.