Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- There's a tick boom in Michigan - Here are 5 things you should know
- Students aren’t leaving Michigan football - Michigan football is leaving them
- The 6 most dangerous neighborhoods in Michigan
- The 15 Michigan schools running the biggest deficits
- You need to see these photos of the pet coke piles in Detroit
Wed July 6, 2011
Youngstown mayor will lead President's office for auto communities
The mayor of Youngstown, Ohio is the new head of a government office that helps communities hurt by cutbacks in the auto industry. Mayor Jay Williams starts as head the Office of Recovery for Auto Communities and Workers in August.
"I know firsthand the adverse impact an auto plant’s closing can have…not only on the families…who work there…but also on the prosperity of the local community and our national community as a whole.”
Labor Secretary Hilda Solis made the announcement today in Flint. Solis says although the auto industry has made a comeback, many communities still need federal help including money to retrain workers.