Reports: Natural gas explosion in St. Clair County
There was a explosion at a natural gas storage facility in St. Clair County this morning.
The Detroit Free Press reports:
An equipment malfunction lead to the explosion just before 9 a.m. at Blue Water Gas Storage on Wales Center Road near Rattle Run in Columbus Township, said Joanne Alberty, who works in the assessing office for Columbus Township. “There was a loud boom at the township hall,” Alberty said. “The whole building shook.”
The Times Herald reports that "eleven people — six employees and five contractors — were at the facility when the incident happened."
One person was treated for minor injuries. The Michigan Public Service Commission has been called to investigate.
St. Clair county Emergency Management Director Jeff Friedland is quoted as saying the explosion was a "very minor event."