Michigan higher education construction projects at a glance
Gov. Rick Snyder signed a bill today that calls for investment in infrastructure projects at Michigan's colleges and universities.
The bills funnel more than $300 million into 18 projects on college campuses across the state.
Snyder approved the bills at Wayne State University in Detroit. That school will get $30 million for a new bio-medical research facility.
Wayne State President Allan Gilmour says that will involve refurbishing a now-defunct Cadillac dealership, and construction for at least one brand-new building.
“So we’re going to revitalize a city block, that’s now vacant. And it’s going to contribute to the economic revitalization of Midtown Detroit,” Gilmour said.
Most of the money is directed toward science and engineering facilities, though some is also earmarked for arts centers and other building upgrades.
Snyder says the projects are a worthwhile use of state resources because they represent “an investment in the future.”
“We’re very fortunate in this state,” Snyder said. “We have a world-class system of universities and community colleges. And we want to make sure we can enhance that. Because it has been a challenging environment.”
The last budget Snyder signed contained significant cuts for both community colleges and state universities.
But the Governor says now that the state economy is on the mend, it’s time to “reinvest in those institutions.”
Some of the approved projects are:
- Central Michigan University: $30 million for a bio-sciences building
- Delta College: $10 million for renovations to the Health and Wellness F-Wing
- Grand Valley State University: $30 million for a science lab, classroom and office building
- Lansing Community College: $10 million for renovations to the Arts and Sciences Building
- Michigan State University: $30 million for a bio-engineering facility
- Northern Michigan University $25 million to replace Jamrich Hall
- Oakland University: $30 million for an engineering center
- University of Michigan, Ann Arbor: $30 million for renovations to the G.G. Brown Memorial Laboratory
- University of Michigan, Dearborn: $30 million for renovations to the Science and Computer Information Building
- University of Michigan, Flint: $16.6 million for renovations to the Murchie Science Laboratory Building
- Wayne State University: $30 million for a multi-disciplinary biomedical research building