Michigan teacher shortage: having all certified teachers in some areas “a pipe dream”
Michigan expects there will be a shortage of teachers in certain subjects this school year. Early childhood, special education, foreign language and a variety of occupational teachers are facing a “critical” shortage.
“Ideally I’m looking for bilingual certified educators. I know that’s a pipe dream to think I’ll fill every seat with a certified person,” Margaret Trimer-Hartley, chief administrative officer of Escuela Avancemos!, said.
Escuela Avancemos! is a Spanish immersion charter school in southwest Detroit. She’s spreading the message far and wide. She wants great, Spanish-speaking teachers.
But right now, it’s tough to fill these positions, creating an odd sort of courtship among teachers and administrators.
“You know we’re all like, ‘No, I want you. What grade do you want to teach? I need 3rd, but ok I’ll give you 2nd, because we need great people to choose us,” Trimer-Hartley said.
What if she can’t find a certified, bilingual teacher?
“I want a Spanish speaking teacher,” Trimer-Hartley said, “If I can’t get either of those I want a really great wonderful educator who is state certified. If I can’t get that the state does allow for some emergency credentialing.”
There are ways people without a traditional teaching degree can work in the classroom to help ease the shortage.
Here’s the list of expected “critical” shortage subject areas:
- Early Childhood Education (Pre-Kindergarten Programs)
- Special Education – All Categories
- World Languages – Including Bilingual, English as a Second Language, American Sign Language, and Native American Languages
- Occupational – Therapeutic Services
- Occupational – Cosmetology
- Occupational – Hospitality
- Occupational – Construction Trade
- Occupational – Public Safety/ Protective Services
- Occupational – Automobile Technician (NATEF Certified)
- Occupational – Welding, Brazing, and Soldering
- Occupational – Graphics and Printing Technology and Communications
- Occupational – Agriculture, Agriculture Operations and Related Science
- Occupational – Collision Repair Technician (NATEF Certified)