On this page you'll find all of our stories on the city of Detroit.Suggest a story here and follow our podcast here.
Detroit after bankruptcy: a Stateside special
Today a special edition of Stateside with the Detroit Journalism Cooperative on Detroit after bankruptcy:
- We examine how the city is trying to get public services back on track with new initiatives for street light replacement and more buses on the road.
- Residents discuss the benefits of living in Detroit’s rich cultural environment and weigh these costs with continuing to deal with crime in the area.
- Many of the issues that led the city of Detroit to bankruptcy are also affecting Detroit schools. We review how Detroit’s education system has adjusted to the decline in funding and enrollment.
- Detroit’s central business district has gained attention after large acquisitions from private corporations, but many residents worry this growth is bypassing neighborhoods.
- More companies are also seeing Detroit as an opportunity, establishing themselves in the area and hiring more residents of the city.