Michigan toddler dies from enterovirus D68
DETROIT (AP) - A toddler is the first person in Michigan to die from the virus that has caused severe respiratory illness across the country.
Children's Hospital of Michigan in Detroit says 21-month-old Madeline Reid died Friday afternoon from enterovirus D68.
Chief Medical Officer Dr. Rudolph Valentini said in a statement that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention confirmed the illness after the Clinton Township girl's arrival, but did not specify which day.
A New Jersey state medical examiner said last week that a 4-year-old boy died of the virus, and the CDC says five people infected with the virus have died, but it's not clear what role the virus played.
The CDC said in a release this week that the virus has sickened 691 people in 46 states and Washington, D.C.