Officials: Improperly-stored bodies found at Detroit funeral home
A Detroit funeral home has been shut down after inspections found decomposing embalmed bodies, unsanitary conditions, and other violations.
The state's Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (LARA) office said Wednesday that the mortuary science license of Cantrell Funeral Home has been summarily suspended. Inspectors found “deplorable, unsanitary conditions” and deemed the funeral home “an imminent threat to the public health and safety”.
According to the LARA release, two bodies were found to be in an advanced stage of decomposition, covered in what appeared to be mold and held in the home's care since early this year. A third body's facial area was covered in unknown fluids.
The establishment also was operating with an expired prepaid funeral and cemetery sales registration, as well as violations to the Prepaid Funeral and Cemetery Sales Act.
“Michigan residents trust funeral home directors, owners, and their establishments to follow the law, especially when dealing with the death of a loved one,” said CSCL Director Julia Dale. “We will continue to aggressively hold every funeral home in Michigan to the highest standards of public health and safety when providing final arrangements.”