© 2022 MICHIGAN RADIO
91.7 Ann Arbor/Detroit 104.1 Grand Rapids 91.3 Port Huron 89.7 Lansing 91.1 Flint
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
Available On Air Stations
Criminal Justice & Legal System

Judge denies request to revisit dismissal of Detroit consent agreement lawsuit

An Ingham county judge has denied Detroit's top lawyer's request that he revisit his dismissal of her lawsuit challenging the city’s consent agreement with the state.

Last month, Ingham County Circuit Court Judge William Collette dismissed Detroit Corporation Counsel Krystal Crittendon's lawsuit challenging the authority of the consent agreement. Crittendon says it violates the Detroit charter.

Michigan Radio's Sarah Cwiek reported Crittendon's thinking behind the lawsuit last week,

Crittendon maintains the consent agreement is illegal because the state owes Detroit money, and the city can’t have a valid contract with a debtor. But [Collette] threw the case out, saying Crittendon had no authority to bring it. But according to a letter delivered to the Detroit City Council Thursday, Crittendon has asked Collette to reconsider. That’s the first step in a possible appeal.

That appeal was blocked yesterday, when Williams denied the motion for reconsideration sent by Crittendon's office.

Though she had the support of City Council, Detroit Mayor Dave Bing and Governor Snyder opposed Crittendon's legal challenge of the city's Financial Stability Agreement, which they see as a tool to help the city.

Bing said the lawsuit was needlessly costing Detroit money, including $28 million in revenue that would be withheld from the city. He asked Crittendon to resign, though she refused.

The Detroit Free Press reports that it's unclear if she will seek an appeal of the ruling, though the Detroit News reports she has 21 days to file an appeal with the State Court of Appeals.

-Elaine Ezekiel, Michigan Radio Newsroom

Related Content