© 2021 MICHIGAN RADIO
91.7 Ann Arbor/Detroit 91.3 Port Huron 104.1 Grand Rapids 91.1 Flint
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
Available On Air Stations
News

No liability for Northern Michigan inn in bonfire burns

bonfire on beach close up
Photo by Kelly Bork on Unsplash
/
The court found that Watervale Inn was not responsible for the injuries of a young girl who was burned by buried coals on the inn's beach property.

The Michigan Supreme Court has ruled in favor of a century-old inn in a lawsuit over hot coals on a Lake Michigan beach.
 
The court says Watervale Inn is protected by a law that shields landowners from liability during recreational activities. The court last week reversed a decision by the Michigan appeals court.
 
A 10-year-old girl, Bailey Noble, suffered burns while stepping on the hidden remnants of a beach bonfire in 2013. Bailey wasn't staying at Watervale Inn in Benzie County, but a friend's family had been invited to use the beach.
 
The case was closely watched by people who allow public access to their properties. They feared that a decision against the inn could make them liable in the future.
 

Related Content