Year in Review 2019: Our best stories about Michigan
This year, Michigan Radio’s reporting looked at local traditions, explored life in prison, and took a deeper dive into communities that aren’t always in the spotlight.
In May, we launched our series In Focus, asking listeners to pitch cities in Michigan that they care about, but are often overlooked. We got a lot of input and launched our series with Jackson, Michigan.
- "Let's make this place awesome." How a Jackson couple changed minds about their hometown.
- One small city, three vibrant immigrant communities
- Tecumseh is "full of surprises," and this couple doesn't want you to miss out
- For the Little Traverse Bay Bands of Odawa Indians, this has always been home
Look inside local communities and traditions
- Tribal communities in Michigan use traditional knowledge to tackle modern public health crisis
- Kalamazoo Promise reaches a milestone, and faces a challenge
- In Detroit, a new approach to stemming cycles of violence: meeting victims' needs
- Swartz Creek district’s new “Dragon Diner” keeps students fed during summer vacation
- Here's what you need to know about p?czki
Life inside prison in Michigan
- Jackson corrections officer talks about mental health toll of working in a prison
- Mornings in Michigan: Starting a day in prison