Stateside: Snyder criminal case; cicada BBQ; former Pistons coach Ray Scott; redistricting
Today on Stateside, former Michigan Governor Rick Snyder’s pretrial begins in the ongoing legal battle over the Flint Water Crisis. We check in on what the committee in charge of redrawing political districts is hearing in public comments. Then, a conversation with a former head coach of the Detroit Pistons about race and politics in the NBA. Plus, the best cicada recipes for your summer cookout.
You can hear the full show above or listen to individual conversations below.
Gov. Snyder pre-trial in Flint water crisis begins discovery phase
- Steve Carmody is a reporter at Michigan Radio.
From pizza to ice cream, cicadas were the star ingredient of this cookout
- Anthony Johansen is a landscaper who lives in Ypsilanti.
Former Pistons coach Ray Scott on the intersection of sports and civil rights
- Ray Scott is a former Detroit Pistons head coach and was the 1974 NBA coach of the year. His forthcoming memoir, publishing next fall, is titled The NBA in Black and White.
Got an opinion on redistricting? The group in charge of drawing new maps wants to hear it.
- Sue Hammersmith is executive director of the Michigan Independent Citizens Redistricting Commission.
- Sergio Martínez-Beltrán covers the Capitol for Bridge Michigan.