Stateside for Thursday, Oct. 22, 2015
Today on Stateside:
- Reps. Gary Glenn and Jeff Irwin are co-sponsoring a package of bills that would subsidize homes, businesses, and churches that generate their own electricity.
- Big data is important for understanding big problems, but sometimes it's easy to get lost in all the numbers. Alex B. Hill joins us to talk about how hard it is to be empathetic about data and how it reveals a lot about the struggles of individuals.
- There's a plentiful, nutritious fruit native to North America that's been all but forgotten. Andrew Moore wants to reintroduce American eaters to the pawpaw.
- GM CEO Mary Barra said Wednesday that the company is "vastly different" than it was even five years ago. Detroit News business columnist Daniel Howes weighs in on the claim.
- If you can't pay a fine or you miss a court date, a minor violation could turn into a major problem. MJ Cartwright thinks virtual court appearances could make our courts more accessible, more efficient, and less discriminatory.