Stateside: More experts needed to connect vets to benefits; Slotkin on priorities for 8th District
Today on Stateside, Democratic nominee Elissa Slotkin on why she's running in Michigan's 8th Congressional District, one of the most expensive races in the country. Plus, Washtenaw County Department of Veterans Affairs director Michael Smith talks about how a shortage of qualified staff makes it harder for Michigan veterans to determine their eligibility for federal VA benefits.
Listen to the full show above or find individual segments below.
- Elissa Slotkin is running as a Democrat in Michigan's 8th Congressional District against incumbent Mike Bishop (R). She joined Stateside to talk about her campaign, her views on the current political climate in Washington, and what she intends to do for Michigan residents if elected to office.
Theater Talk: Little old ladies and a serial killer, “Clue,” and a Phantom flop
- David Kiley, editor-in-chief of Encore Michigan, updates us on productions happening across the state just in time for the Halloween season. They include Arsenic and Old Lace, Clue, and Love Never Dies, a Phantom of the Opera sequel playing at the Wharton Center in East Lansing.
DNR: Line 5 tunnel would avoid legal battle over immediate shutdown
- Keith Creagh is the director of the Michigan Department of Natural Resources. He joined Stateside to talk about an agreement reached between Governor Rick Snyder and Enbridge Energy to decommission and replace Enbridge's aging Line 5 pipeline, which runs beneath the Straits of Mackinac.
Voters on minimum wage, economic outlook
- We've been sending reporters and producers across the state to ask people two questions: What are the most important issues for you as a Michigan voter? What concerns you most about our political climate right now? Today, we hear from Roslyn Wilson from Detroit's east side and Dell Alderton of Lake Ann.
Hunting for Petoskey stones and peace of mind
- Tamar Charney, managing director of NPR One, sent us this postcard on the "zombie hoard" hunting for Petoskey stones along the shore of Lake Michigan.
- Michael Smith, director of the Washtenaw County Department of Veterans Affairs, talks about the obstacles faced by veterans, their dependents, and their survivors when navigating the federal VA benefits program.