Stateside: New MI Senate leader on top priorities; how city zoning pushed out the “missing middle"
Today, we hear from Michigan's newly elected state Senate Majority Leader, Republican Senator Mike Shirkey, about how he plans to work with Governor-elect Gretchen Whitmer. Plus, how zoning laws got rid of "missing middle" housing stock and made cities unaffordable for many working families.
Listen to the full show above or hear individual segments below.
Political roundup: As power changes hands in Lansing, what could possibly go wrong?
- Our Friday political commentators give their insight on Michigan’s midterm elections and the new leadership chosen yesterday by state legislators. Vicki Barnett is a former mayor of Farmington Hills and a former Democratic legislator. Ken Sikkema is a senior policy fellow at Public Sector Consultants and a former Republican legislator.
New state Senate leader open to working with Whitmer, focused on keeping Michigan competitive
- Republican state Senator Mike Shirkey was chosen yesterday as the new Senate Majority Leader. He joins us to discuss his priorities in the next term, working with governor-elect Gretchen Whitmer, and the future of auto-insurance reform.
Cheers! A drink that includes spiced whiskey and Michigan bitters
- Stateside host Lester Graham and Tammy Coxen of Tammy's Tastings make an apple cinnamon mule perfect for fall (even if it's snowing).
Researcher explores what death and decomposition can tell us about life
- Eric Benbow is a forensic entomologist and microbial ecologist who studies death and decomposition. He led a study at Michigan State University that established a baseline of the life that benefits from the decomposition of plants and animals.
From the archives: World War I veterans share their memories
- This Sunday's Veterans Day will mark the 100th anniversary of the end of World War One. This piece first aired in 1994 when host Lester Graham and his colleague Matthew Algeo interviewed World War One veterans before they were all gone.
Whitmer, Schuette campaign leaders give post-mortem on Michigan governor’s race
- The managers of both Gretchen Whitmer and Bill Schuette’s campaigns spoke to moderator Jonathan Oosting of The Detroit News at Pundit Summit 2018. This segment includes clips from that discussion, which included Lori Wortz and Rusty Hills from the Schuette campaign, as well as Eric Goldman and Zach Pohl from the Whitmer campaign.
How zoning laws got rid of “missing middle” housing and made cities unaffordable
- Marc Norman is an associate professor at the Taubman College of Architecture and Urban Planning at the University of Michigan. He joined Stateside to explain what the “missing middle” is, and how it's impacted housing affordability in cities like Detroit and Grand Rapids.