Josh King, Donnie Corley Jr, and Demetric Vance were officially charged with sexual assault Tuesday morning, MSU police announced.
“King has been charged with one count of first-degree criminal sexual conduct, one count of third-degree criminal sexual conduct and one count of capturing/distributing image of an unclothed person. Vance and Corley Jr. each has been charged with one count of third-degree criminal sexual conduct,” the department said in a release.
The three men are accused of assaulting a young woman at a party on campus in the early morning hours of January 16th.
They’re expected to turn themselves in at their arraignments, which will likely happen Tuesday afternoon and Wednesday, the prosecutor’s office says. Michigan Radio reached out to their defense attorneys on Monday for comment, but they either declined to comment or didn’t respond to our requests.
Police say their investigation involved more than 100 interviews and contacts and some 1,500 man hours.
In a statement, head football coach Mark Dantonio said regardless of the case outcomes, all three players have been dismissed from the team.
“This is an extremely challenging situation that we have taken very seriously and has affected everyone in this program,” his statement says.
MSU hired the law firm Jones Day to investigate how the football program handled and reported alleged sexual assaults by players over the last five months, and released that report Monday afternoon.
That investigation found Dantonio stuck to MSU’s policies and immediately reported any information about a possible assault. But another football staffer, Curtis Blackwell, may have spoken to players involved in the incident, and one of their parents, but didn’t report that information to MSU or the police.
Blackwell was put on paid leave in February, and MSU didn’t renew his contract when it expired last month.
Both Dantonio and Athletic Director Mark Hollis will hold a press conference Tuesday at 12:30. The district court begins hearing arraignments at 1 pm today.