It’s an exciting period of transformation in Michigan Radio’s Ann Arbor newsroom, and we’re seeking a savvy, socially driven Digital Media Reporter/Producer to join our team. We’re looking for a creative individual to tell stories across current and emerging social, digital, and mobile platforms in an effort to serve our loyal listeners, while also reaching and growing new, diverse audiences.
The ideal candidate will develop thoughtful and engaging plans for online distribution of content created by station reporters and producers, station-wide enterprise reporting, and digital-first projects from the digital media team. Additionally, the digital media reporter/producer will think beyond traditional ways of storytelling in order to bring our award-winning reporting to a broader audience via the platforms and places they are already visiting and using.
The digital media producer will work on independent projects both inside and outside of the newsroom – you won’t always be tied to a desk. The producer will also work on projects led by reporters, producers, and editors within our programming and news departments. Additionally, the producer will aid with copyediting, web posting, and general site and social maintenance.
We’re looking for a passionate candidate who believes in public radio’s core values, with a commitment to accuracy and excellence. The ideal candidate will have strong news judgment, writing, and editing skills, with the ability to produce multiple projects at once under tight deadlines. Working for a small, but driven, newsroom means there are opportunities to shape and grow this role.
This position will work hours roughly between 10:30 a.m. and 6:30 p.m. Monday-Friday, with the potential for weekend and evening work.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Leading Michigan Radio’s efforts on social media. The entire digital team manages our social presence, but we’re looking for someone who can create a cohesive feeling amongst our offerings, become the voice of our efforts, and strategize new and creative ways to package on-air and original digital reporting.
- Following social media trends and recommending new strategies to maximize social and online exposure.
- Collaborating with the digital news team, the station’s reporters, editors, producers, and podcast team to create cohesive storytelling experiences for our audiences.
- Measuring and monitoring analytics and metrics in order to create best practices and to inform editorial content decisions.
- Taking photos, creating graphics, videos, and more for web posts and social media channels.
- Producing and writing content for Michigan Radio’s website, mobile, broadcast, and social platforms as appropriate.
- Traveling to report and produce stories from around the state.
- Developing digital-first initiatives and supporting other original digital reporting to grow our online offerings.
Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, or related field or equivalent of experience and knowledge; at least two years of experience in news writing, digital audio and video editing; outstanding radio and web production skills are required. Previous experience working with social media in a news, information, or similar context preferred. Excellent verbal and written communication skills are required. Proficiency with standard spelling, grammar, punctuation, and style necessary. Familiarity with the Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Premiere, etc.), Audition, and Newsboss a plus.
How To Apply:
Apply online at http://careers.umich.edu. Enter Job number 174489 in the Key Word and click Search. Follow application instructions. Resumes without cover letters will not be accepted. No phone calls, faxes, or emails.
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.