Michigan Radio has been recognized as Public Radio Station of the Year according to the Michigan Association of Broadcasters. The recognition was announced Tuesday evening at the MAB’s annual Great Lakes Broadcasting Conference in Lansing.
In addition to Station of the Year, Michigan Radio also received seven first place “Best in Category” awards and six Merit awards in recognition of the station’s hard news and feature reporting, news series and newscast, in addition to other categories. Michigan Radio's innovative journalism project “MI Curious” was honored for Best Special Interest & Cultural Affairs program, and the station was recognized in the New Media category for its website and use of social media.
Michigan Radio received MAB awards in the following categories:
- Station of the Year (Group 2)
First Place- Best in Category
- News Special or Public Affairs Program: “Not Safe to Drink”
- Hard News & Current Events Story: “High lead levels in Michigan kids after city switches water source”
- Special Interest & Cultural Programming: Michigan Radio’s MI Curious Project
- Newscast: Oct. 1, 2015
- Mini Documentary or Series: “Bringing Up Detroit”
- New Media: Michigan Radio’s Website/Social Media
- Marketing Materials & Promos: MI Curious Trivia Night
- News Special or Public Affairs Program: “The Hidden Epidemic” (State of Opportunity)
- Membership Appeal: “Time Machine”
- Musical Programming: “Detroit locals love this neighborhood blues festival”
- Newscast: Dec. 22, 2015
- Marketing Materials & Promos: “Not Safe to Drink” promo
- Feature/Use of Medium: “This community finally got what people have been asking for: a home football game”
The Broadcast Excellence Awards program recognizes outstanding achievement in broadcasting by commercial and public television and radio stations in Michigan each year. All 2015 entries aired between January 1 and December 31, 2015. Michigan Radio competes in Group 2 of the Public Radio Broadcast Excellence Award Divisions, which is for stations with more than $2 million budget.