On July 5, 1948, Michigan Radio signed onto the air as WUOM for the first time.
The station was on air for just 20 hours a week, and broadcast from a classroom in University of Michigan’s Angell Hall. In these earliest years at WUOM, the station included programming such as commentary on the news, “Record Collector,” and “Hymns of Faith.”
In the past 70 years, WUOM has grown and adapted exponentially. In 1989, WUOM officially adopted the new name of Michigan Radio to better reflect the network's large coverage across much of the state. In 1996, Michigan Radio completely phased out classical music to instead focus on a news-and-information format. And, in 2003, Michigan Radio moved for the second time since its start, to our current studios near downtown Ann Arbor.
Michigan Radio has also played an important role in developing the public radio system. WUOM General Manager Ed Burrow and former program director Jerrold Sandler were both involved in the Public Broadcasting Act of 1967, and Michigan Radio was one of the first member stations of NPR.
In the ever-evolving landscape of public radio, Michigan Radio now also distributes news and information on our website and app, creates original content such as The Environment Report and Stateside, and often collaborates with other media organizations to bring in-depth stories to our listeners.
Check out our Michigan Radio history timeline below: