Number of state-confirmed COVID-19 cases climbs to 65 | Michigan Radio
WUOMFM

Number of state-confirmed COVID-19 cases climbs to 65

Credit michigan.gov

Updated Tuesday, March 17 at 11:02 p.m.:

This page is no longer being actively updated. Please visit our tracking map for a breakdown of which counties have confirmed cases and how many are in each one. 

You can also see known exposure sites.

For updates from the state of Michigan, please visit their coronavirus website.

Updated Sunday, March 15 at 11:24 p.m.:

Eight additional cases were announced Sunday evening, bringing the state's total to 53. 

In addition to the 12 announced earlier today, the new cases include:

  • Washtenaw County, three adult males, all with a history of international travel.
  • Detroit, adult female with unknown travel history.
  • Oakland County, adult female with contact with a person with COVID-19.
  • Detroit, adult female with contact with a person with COVID-19.
  • Macomb County, adult female with unknown travel history.
  • Oakland County, male child with contact with a person with COVID-19
  • Kent County, adult male with unknown travel history and unknown contact history.
  • Oakland County, adult male with unknown travel and contact history.
  • Wayne County, adult male with unknown travel and contact history.
  • Ottawa County, adult female with unknown travel and contact history.
  • St. Clair County, adult female with contact with a person with COVID-19.
  • Macomb County, two adult males with no travel or contact reported.
  • Wayne County, adult male with no travel or contact reported.
  • Oakland County, adult male with international travel history.
  • Oakland County, adult male with no history of travel or contacts.
  • Detroit, adult female with no history of travel or contacts.
  • Kent County, adult male with history of domestic travel. 

One case currently does not have information regarding location, so therefore is not reflected on this map.

Updated Sunday, March 15 at 6:58 p.m.

Governor Gretchen Whitmer announced an additional 12 confirmed cases of COVID-19, bringing the state's total to 45.

The locations of those cases have not yet been released.

In addition to announcing the new cases, Whitmer also said Michigan's three Detroit casinos would be temporarily closed. 

This is a developing story.

Updated Saturday, March 14 at 9:36 p.m.:

The Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (MDHHS) announced Saturday an additional eight cases of COVID-19 in Michigan, bringing the total to 33. While the state has confirmed the positive tests, they will be sent to the CDC for final confirmation. 

The announcment marks the first state-confirmed case in Monroe County. The eight new cases include:

  • Detroit, adult male with history of domestic travel and contact with someone with a confirmed case.
  • Oakland County, adult male with history of domestic travel.
  • Oakland County, adult male with unknown travel history.
  • Oakland County, adult female with history of contact with someone with a confirmed case.
  • Macomb County, adult male with no known travel history and no known contact with someone with a confirmed case.
  • Monroe County, adult female with history of domestic travel.
  • Wayne County, adult female with unknown travel history and no known contact with someone with a confirmed case.
  • Washtenaw County, adult female with history of contact with someone with a confirmed case.

State health officials are monitoring hundreds of potential coronavirus cases.

Related coverage:

The chairwoman of the Republican National Committee is at home in Michigan awaiting the results of a coronavirus test after experiencing a fever and flu-like symptoms. Tests for strep throat and flu were negative. But a spokesman says Ronna McDaniel's doctor "determined a test for COVID-19 was necessary given her symptoms."

Earlier on Saturday, Oakland County ordered bars, theaters, and other businesses with food service licenses to cut their customer loads by 50%

This is a developing story. 

Updated Friday, March 13 at 8:57 p.m:

The state confirmed nine more cases of COVID-19, bringing the total number of cases to 25. While the state has confirmed the positive tests, they will be sent to the CDC for final confirmation. 

The announcement marks the first cases confirmed in Bay, Charlevoix, and Macomb counties. The nine new cases include:

  • An adult male from Bay County with a history of domestic travel. 
  • An adult female from Charlevoix County with a history of international travel.
  • An adult female from Detroit with a history of international travel.
  • An adult male from Macomb County with a history of international travel.
  • Two adult females and an adult male from Oakland County, one with a history of international travel and two with unknown travel history.
  • Two adult females from Wayne County, one with a history of domestic travel and the other with no history of travel.

“This is a time for Macomb County residents to unite and help to prevent the spread of this virus,” said County Executive Mark A. Hackel in a press release. “We need to remain calm, and follow guidelines that have been established by public health professionals.”

Additionally, the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services has set up a statewide hotline to answer questions about the new coronavirus. The hotline will go live Saturday, March 14 at 9 a.m. 

It will operate seven days a week between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. Residents can call 1-888-535-6136, and public health and related experts will answer any questions they might have about coronavirus. They will not be able to provide individual clinical advice or diagnosis through the hotline. 

“As we continue to take precautions to prevent the spread of COVID-19 in our state, we want to ensure Michiganders have the information they need to stay healthy, address concerns and know where to go for the care they need if they experience symptoms,” said Dr. Joneigh Khaldun, MDHHS chief medical executive and chief deputy for health, in a statement. 

This is a developing story.

Updated Friday, March 13 at 5:10 p.m.:

Credit Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)

Today the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services announced four additional cases of state-confirmed COVID-19 cases. The news brings the total number of Michigan cases to 16. 

The following information was released about each of the cases:

  • An adult female from Detroit with unknown travel history.
  • An adult male from Washtenaw County with history of international travel.
  • An adult female from Wayne County with history of contact with a confirmed case.
  • An adult male. No additional information is available on this case at this time. Updated information will be provided as it is available.

Updated Thursday, March 12 at 9:23 p.m.:

On Thursday evening, the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services reported ten new COVID-19 cases in the state in addition to the two reported on Tuesday. This brings the total number of cases in the state to 12.

The new cases were found in Ingham, Kent, Montcalm, St. Clair, and Washtenaw counties. They include:

  • An adult female from Ingham County with history of travel on a cruise.
  • Two adult females from Kent County and one adult male, all with history of international travel.
  • An adult female from Montcalm with history of international travel.
  • Two adult males from Oakland County; one with no travel history and one with domestic travel.
  • An adult male from St. Clair County with history of domestic travel.
  • One adult female and one adult male from Washtenaw County; one with history of domestic travel and one with history of international travel.

While the tests were presumed postitive by the MDHHS Bureau of Laboratories, they still need to be sent to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) for confirmation testing. 

“We continue to urge Michiganders to take precautions to prevent the spread COVID-19 in our state,” said Dr. Joneigh Khaldun, chief medical executive and chief deputy for health, in a press release. “We have to proactively implement community mitigation strategies that will help prevent the spread of the disease, and particularly protect our most vulnerable Michiganders.”

The state advises that COVID-19 symptoms may appear in as few as two days and as many as 14 days. Look for:

  • Fever
  • Cough
  • Shortness of breath

For continuing updates on the situation, visit the state's coronavirus site

Original post: Thursday, March 12 at 7:08 p.m.

The state health department has reported the third presumptive positive case of COVID-19 in Michigan. The numbers were updated on the state's website Thursday evening. 

At this time, no other information has been provided. The Detroit News reported that no state officials were available for comment, but officials planned on releasing a statement soon. 

On Tuesday evening, Governor Gretchen Whitmer declared a state of emergency after announcing the state had its first two presumptive positive cases of COVID-19 in Wayne and Oakland counties. 

This is a developing story. 

Want to support reporting like this? Consider making a gift to Michigan Radio today.

Tags: