It’s been more than a year since our lives were upended by COVID-19, and Michigan Radio has tirelessly chronicled the news along the way. Not just about the pandemic, but about historic flooding that displaced residents; street protests demanding racial justice; a plot to kidnap Michigan’s governor; and more.
It’s all felt like a little too much, right?
We get it.
That’s why we’re launching Getting Through: a project that steps away from the news, and brings you stories and sounds that are, well, getting us through. Connecting us to what’s important. Grounding us.
We want to hear from you. What’s getting you through this year? And what does that sound like?
Maybe it’s cooking for your family. Or walks in the woods. Or making music. Whatever it is, we want to hear it. You can share how you're getting through in two ways:
You can give us a call at (734) 408-1753 and simply leave us a voicemail telling us who or what is getting you through.
There are three important things to include in your message:
- Your name
- The city you live in
- How you’re getting through this year
Or, if you've ever wanted to be a Michigan Radio reporter, here's your chance! Record the sounds of what's getting you through - playing with your kids, cooking, going for a walk - and send them in. For this, we're not looking to hear narration - we just want to hear the sounds. Try to gather at least :30 seconds worth. For example, here's a recording captured of a cat purring (to show the type of time we're getting to enjoy with our furry friends):
Here's how you can record your own sound:
- If you're an iPhone user, here are instructions for recording on your Voice Memo App pre-installed on your phone.
- If you're on an Android phone, you may need to download a voice recorder app, such as Smart Recorder or Voice Recorder (both are free) to record your message.
- If you'd rather record from your desktop or laptop, Audacity is a free audio recording tool, but many computers have applications pre-loaded that can do this for you.
- Once you've got your sound recorded, send it to us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Your submission may be used on-air or online.