Stateside: Popular vote petition; evolution of Southwest Detroit; breeding hardier wine grapes
Today on Stateside, a bipartisan coalition wants to scrap the Electoral College in favor of a popular vote for presidential elections. Then, we look at how Southwest Detroit’s Mexican community has shaped the neighborhood’s history, and the challenges facing it today. Plus, one Michigan winemaker prepares for climate change by breeding a hardier variety of grape.
Should Michigan’s electoral votes go to a popular vote candidate?
- Mark Brewer is an attorney, longtime Democratic strategist, and a member of the Democratic National Committee.
- Daniel Wanschura is Morning Edition host and broadcast director for Interlochen Public Radio.
- The story was produced for Interlochen Public Radio’s podcast Points North.
Mindful of gentrification history, Detroit’s Mexicantown looks toward the future
- Maria Elena Rodriguez is a native Detroiter, founder of Mexicantown Mercado, and former president of Mexicantown Community Development Corporation.
- Raymond Lozano is the executive director of the Mexicantown Community Development Corporation.