Stateside: Thursday, June 9, 2022
Today on Stateside, U.S. Sen. Debbie Stabenow discussed an effort to extend federal funding for programs that have allowed children to receive free school lunches for the past two years.
Then, a discussion about how Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore became a massive tourist draw. We talked about what that's meant for park upkeep and for the surrounding community of Munising.
And, a Lansing Starbucks barista talked about organizing her store’s union election as other locations of the coffee chain across the country do the same. We reached out to Starbucks for comment on the unionization efforts, and you can read their response here.
Finally, we hear why Ryan Kelley, a Republican candidate for governor, was taken into FBI custody on Thursday.
GUESTS ON TODAY’S SHOW:
- U.S. Senator Debbie Stabenow (MI-D)
- Sheri McWhirter, climate reporter for MLive
- Tom Dolaskie, operator of Munising’s Roam Inn
- Grace Norris, rising senior at Michigan State University and a Starbucks barista
- Zoe Clark, director of content at Michigan Radio