Stateside: Proposal to halve Lansing PD’s budget; “Deep Cover” podcast; MI’s death penalty history
Today on Stateside, we discussed how two recent Supreme Court decisions may impact cases in Michigan. Plus, last night, Lansing City Council heard public comments on a proposal to cut police funding in the city by 50 percent over the next several years.
Listen to the full show above or find individual segments below.
Lansing City Council looking into proposal to defund police by 50%
- Brandon Betz is a member of Lansing City Council.
New podcast “Deep Cover” reveals how a Detroit FBI agent found himself in the middle of a massive drug cartel bust
- Jake Halpern is a Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist and bestselling author.
- Ned Timmons is a former FBI agent who specialized in drug activities.
As a federal death sentence is carried out, a reflection on Michigan's long history as a state without capital punishment
- Richard Broughton is an assistant professor of law at University of Detroit-Mercy.
U.S. Supreme Court decision may influence fate of Michigan tribe's land claim
- Matthew Fletcher is a law professor at MSU and director of the Indigenous Law and Policy Center at MSU. He's also a member of the Grand Traverse Band of Ottowa and Chippewa Indians.