Stateside: Politics of COVID-19 policy; Detroit dancer BGirl Mama; Afghan refugees
Today on Stateside, there seems to be some dissent within Governor Whitmer’s administration over updating public health rules. Also, humanitarian groups in Michigan prepare to welcome Afghan refugees. And, we introduce you to musician, dancer, and coreographer BGirl Mama, also known as Mary Mar.
Listen to the full show above or find individual segments below.
The political difficulty of COVID policy
- Rick Pluta is a reporter covering state politics for Michigan Radio.
Detroit dancer, coreographer BGirl Mama hops lanes with new single
- Mary Mar is an artist and dancer from Detroit who goes by the stage name BGirl Mama.
- Support for arts & cultural reporting on Michigan Radio comes in part from a grant from the Michigan Council for Arts and Cultural Affairs.
Michigan agencies prepare for potential influx of Afghan refugees
- Kristine Van Noord is the program director for refugee resettlement in West Michigan at Bethany Christian Services.
- Deb Drennan is the CEO of Freedom House in Detroit, which serves asylum seekers.