Michigan Radio Recognized as Public Radio Station of the Year
For the third consecutive year, Michigan Radio has been recognized as Public Radio Station of the Year according to the Michigan Association of Broadcasters.
The recognition was announced Wednesday evening at the MAB’s annual Broadcast Excellence Awards held in Lansing.
In addition to being named Station of the Year, Michigan Radio also received eight “Best in Category” awards and five Merit awards in recognition of the station’s hard news and feature reporting and news specials/public affairs programming, in addition to other categories.
Michigan Radio received MAB Broadcast Excellence Awards awards in the following categories:
- STATION OF THE YEAR (Public Radio Group 2)
Best in Category
- HARD NEWS & CURRENT EVENTS STORY: “Why Detroit is "ground zero" for surge in land contracts,” Kaye LaFond & Sarah Hulett
- FEATURE/USE OF MEDIUM: “Michigan theater company gives kids with disabilities a chance to shine on stage,” April Van Buren for State of Opportunity
- NEWS SPECIAL OR PUBLIC AFFAIRS PROGRAM: “We live here: Neighborhood school on the brink of closure,” Jennifer Guerra for State of Opportunity
- NEWSCAST: December 20th, 2017 - 7 AM
- SPECIAL INTEREST & CULTURAL PROGRAMMING: Michigan History segments, Stateside
- COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT: Issues & Ale
- MARKETING MATERIALS & PROMOS: Weekday, Weekend, and Capitol Beat
- MEMBERSHIP APPEAL: Giving to Michigan Radio
- NEWS SPECIAL OR PUBLIC AFFAIRS PROGRAM: “Better together: How school diversity makes a difference,” Stateside
- SPECIAL INTEREST & CULTURAL PROGRAMMING: “Theater Talk,” Stateside
- NEWSCAST: December 15th, 2017 4 PM
- MUSICAL PROGRAMMING: Mixtape on Stateside
- NEW MEDIA: Michigan Radio Use of New Media
The Broadcast Excellence Awards program recognizes outstanding achievement in broadcasting by commercial and public television and radio stations in Michigan each year. All 2017 entries aired between January 1 and December 31, 2017. Michigan Radio competes in Group 2 of the Public Radio Broadcast Excellence Award Divisions, which is for stations with more than $2 million budget.