Michigan Radio and NPR Maintain Audience Growth
Recently released audience rating information shows that NPR and Michigan Radio have largely upheld the record audience ratings recorded during the 2016 election, and continue to see large growth on digital platforms.
"Michigan Radio locally and NPR nationally have done a great job of maintaining the growth that we saw a year ago." said Executive Director-General Manager Steve Schram. "More than ever, people are searching for credible journalism and in-depth discussion of the issues, and they are turning to Michigan Radio and other NPR stations across the country for that.”
Here are some of the audience highlights:
- The total weekly listeners for all programming on NPR stations nationwide is 37.7 million people, a record that has been maintained since Spring 2017.
- The total over-the-air listening audience for Michigan Radio is 510,100 people per week. Although this is a 4% decline compared to the all-time record listening audience from Fall, 2016, it is largely offset by the evolving trend of digital streaming listenership (see below), providing instant and easy access to the station’s news and information programming in areas beyond the broadcast signal coverage.
- An average of over 132,000 people each month listen to Michigan Radio’s online audio stream, a 7% increase compared to the previous year. This includes people listening directly from the station’s website at michiganradio.org, the Michigan Radio app and other streaming apps.
- Michigan Radio content continues to expand to new platforms, including the booming market of smart speaker devices like Amazon Alexa and Google Home. The station’s new Alexa skill allows people to listen to the station’s live stream, hear hourly newscasts and play the latest episode of favorite Michigan Radio shows like Stateside, The Environment Report and commentaries by Jack Lessenberry.
- Michigan Radio maintains its position as the most listened to NPR station in five different metro markets across the state. This includes Detroit, Ann Arbor, Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo and Flint.
Source: Nielsen Audio- Fall, 2017; Persons 12+, Mon-Sun, 6AM-12Midnight.