Michigan Radio Wins Sixteen Michigan AP Awards
Michigan Radio was presented with sixteen awards from the Michigan Associated Press Media Editors this weekend. The awards recognize excellence in news coverage from Michigan media throughout 2018. The station was honored with eleven First Place awards, including Outstanding News Operation and Best Digital Presence. The station also received five Second Place awards. Michigan Radio competes in the large market radio category, which includes both public and commercial radio stations that serve Michigan’s largest market of Detroit.
Here is the complete list of Michigan Radio winners:
- Outstanding News Operation – Michigan Radio News Staff
- Best Continuing Coverage: Michigan Radio – “PFAS”
- Best Investigative Reporting: Bryce Huffman and Kaye LaFond – “One Year After Bias Study, Black Grand Rapids Drivers Skeptical About Improvement”
- Best Sports Feature Story – Doug Tribou & Lauren Talley: Mornings in Michigan: “Rowers Rise Early for Smooth Waters at Detroit River Regatta”
- Best Use of Photography – Bryce Huffman – “Recreational Marijuana Ballot Proposal Passes”
- Best Documentary – Michigan Radio: “Believed”
- Best Public Service – Lindsey Smith – “Should You Worry About Catching Hepatitis A at Southeast Michigan Restaurants?”
- Best Enterprise Reporting – Joey Horan – “Fee or Tax? Detroit’s Controversial Drainage Rate Faces Legal Challenge”
- Best Newscast – Michigan Radio
- Best Digital Presence – Michigan Radio
- Best Multimedia Storytelling – Michigan Radio – “Believed”
- Feature Story – Rebecca Kruth – “Mariachi Group Brings Women to the Front of the Stage”
- Sports Feature Story – Bryce Huffman – “A Wheelchair Dodgeball Tournament was About More Than Dodgeball to These Kids”
- Public Service – Lindsey Smith - “Detroit Suburb Says It’s ‘Paying for the Sins’ of MDEQ in Flint Water Crisis, Sues State”
- Use of Photography – Kate Wells – “In Court”
- Use of Sound – Lester Graham – Artisans of Michigan: “Building Cone Tone Resonators”
The Michigan Associated Press Media Editors competition features reports, feature stories, documentaries, photography as well as newscasts and sportscasts that aired in 2018 from newspapers, TV and radio stations across Michigan. The awards were formally presented at a ceremony on Sunday, April 28 in Lansing.
Michigan Radio is the state’s most listened-to public radio service and the Michigan Association of Broadcasters Public Radio Station of the Year. Michigan Radio is a service of the University of Michigan and broadcasts at 91.7 FM in southeastern Michigan, 91.1 FM in Flint, and 104.1 FM in western Michigan and online at michiganradio.org.