Michigan Radio named Public Radio Station of the Year
The Michigan Association of Broadcasters has recognized Michigan Radio as Public Radio Station of the Year for the fifth consecutive year. The recognition was announced Wednesday evening at the MAB’s annual Broadcast Excellence Awards held in Lansing.
In addition to being named Station of the Year, Michigan Radio also received twelve “Best in Category” awards as well as three Merit awards in recognition of the station’s hard news and feature reporting and news specials/public affairs programming, in addition to other categories.
Michigan Radio received MAB Broadcast Excellence Awards in the following categories:
- STATION OF THE YEAR (Public Radio Group 2): Michigan Radio
Best in Category
- HARD NEWS & CURRENT EVENTS STORY – PUBLIC RADIO: “Exposed to Lead in Infancy, now Flint's Youngest Students Face Challenges in School,” Kate Wells
- NEWS SPECIAL OR PUBLIC AFFAIRS PROGRAM – PUBLIC RADIO: “Life on the Inside,” Stateside
- NEWSCAST - PUBLIC RADIO: Newscast October 11th, 2019 8:32 a.m.
- FEATURE/USE OF MEDIUM – PUBLIC RADIO: “When Ann Arbor Pool Closes to People, Dogs Have Their Days,” Doug Tribou
- USE OF NEW MEDIA- PUBLIC RADIO – “Same Same Different,” Bryce Huffman
- NEWS SPECIAL OR PUBLIC AFFAIRS PROGRAM - PUBLIC RADIO – “Life on the Inside,” Stateside
- MARKETING MATERIALS & PROMOS – PUBLIC RADIO & TV: Same Same Different
- MUSICAL PROGRAMMING – PUBLIC RADIO: “Mixtape” on Stateside
- MINI-DOCUMENTARY OR SERIES – PUBLIC RADIO: “Forty Days on Strike with UAW Local 167,” Dustin Dwyer
- COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT – PUBLIC RADIO: Same Same Different
- MEMBERSHIP APPEAL – PUBLIC RADIO & TV: Year-End Giving
- SPECIAL INTEREST & CULTURAL PROGRAMMING: “Mornings in Michigan,” Doug Tribou and Lauren Talley
- SPECIAL INTEREST & CULTURAL PROGRAMMING – PUBLIC RADIO: “Artisans of Michigan,” Lester Graham
- FEATURE/USE OF MEDIUM: “Do You Ever Just Need to Smash Something? Here’s a Place for That,” Dustin Dwyer
- USE OF NEW MEDIA – PUBLIC RADIO: Life on the Inside
The Broadcast Excellence Awards program recognizes outstanding achievement in broadcasting by commercial and public television and radio stations in Michigan each year. All 2019 entries aired between January 1 and December 31, 2019. Michigan Radio competes in Group 2 of the Public Radio Broadcast Excellence Award Divisions, which is for stations with more than $2 million budget.