Michigan Radio named Public Radio Station of the Year for sixth consecutive year
The Michigan Association of Broadcasters (MAB) has recognized Michigan Radio as Public Radio Station of the Year for the sixth consecutive year. The recognition was announced Friday morning at the conclusion of the MAB’s Broadcast Excellence Awards Week.
In addition to being named Station of the Year, Michigan Radio also received 12 other awards, including five “Best in Category” awards as well as seven Merit awards in recognition of the station’s reporting, use of new media, community involvement, membership appeals, in addition to other categories.
Michigan Radio received MAB Broadcast Excellence Awards in the following categories:
- STATION OF THE YEAR (Public Radio Group 2): Michigan Radio
Best in Category
- USE OF NEW MEDIA- PUBLIC RADIO – “Kids These Days” podcast
- MARKETING MATERIALS & PROMOS – Online Listening
- MINI-DOCUMENTARY OR SERIES – “The Lasting Consequences of Systemic Racism” on Stateside
- COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT – Issues & Ale @ Home
- MEMBERSHIP APPEAL – Behind the Scenes: Winter 2020
- NEWSCAST - Newscast: 8 am, Dec 15, 2020
- FEATURE/USE OF MEDIUM: “Mosques Go Virtual During COVID-19 Ramadan,” by Nargis Rahman
- MARKETING MATERIALS & PROMOS – Covering Change
- MEMBERSHIP APPEAL – Fall Membership 2020
- USE OF NEW MEDIA- PUBLIC RADIO – Stateside podcast
- MUSICAL PROGRAMMING –“Needle Drop” on Stateside
- HARD NEWS & CURRENT EVENTS STORY – “For the first time, multiple women speak out about former U-M provost’s alleged sexual misconduct,” by Kate Wells
Each weekday this past week, the Best and Merit winners have been announced in various categories. In years past, the winners of all categories and Station of the Year were announced at the annual banquet; however, due to the pandemic, the MAB created Awards Week with all awards being presented virtually.
The Broadcast Excellence Awards program recognizes outstanding achievement in broadcasting by commercial and public television and radio stations in Michigan each year. All 2020 entries aired between January 1 and December 31, 2020. Michigan Radio competes in Group 2 of the Public Radio Broadcast Excellence Award Divisions, which is for stations with more than $2 million budget.