survivors network of those abused by priests | Michigan Radio
WUOMFM

survivors network of those abused by priests

Megan McFadden / Unsplash

Survivors of clergy abuse are calling on the Catholic Archdiocese of Detroit to update its list of priests accused of abuse.

The Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests, or SNAP, gathered at the Archdiocese of Detroit on Tuesday evening to call on the archdiocese to act, and to protest potential funding cuts to the attorney general’s office, which is investigating cases of abuse.

Unsplash

Published reports claim a police investigation into allegations of sexual abuse by priests turned up a file labelled "victim list" during a raid on Catholic church properties in Saginaw. 

MLive and the Saginaw News obtained the paperwork connected to a warrant executed in March of last year. 

steve carmody / Michigan Radio

Saginaw’s new Catholic bishop says he’s committed to “transparency and accountability” on matters concerning sexual abuse by priests.

Steve Carmody / Michigan Radio

It started last October.

More than 70 police officers, special agents and government officials executed search warrants on each of the seven Catholic dioceses in Michigan simultaneously. They loaded vehicles with boxes and filing cabinets – everything they could find related to potential sexual abuse by priests who have worked in Michigan from 1950 until now.

Attorney General Dana Nessel says Michigan is the first state to execute a search warrant on the Church in this way.

steve carmody / Michigan Radio

The Diocese of Saginaw is bringing in a retiring Michigan Appeals Court judge to be part of the church’s internal investigations into sexual abuse allegations against several priests.

Michael Talbot announced earlier this year he is retiring as chief judge of Michigan’s Court of Appeals, after four decades on the bench.

Talbot also chaired the Detroit Archdiocese Board of Review, which dealt with Catholic priests accused of sexual abuse.

Oklahoma Dept of Corrections

James Francis Rapp, a former Roman Catholic priest, recently pleaded no contest to charges that he had sexual contact with students while he was a wrestling coach and a teacher at Lumen Christi High School in Jackson.
 

Rapp faces up to 20 years in prison. The trouble is, he’s already in prison.

Michigan Attorney General's office

A former Catholic priest has pleaded “no contest” to criminal sexual conduct charges in Michigan.

The charges stem back to the 1980’s when James Rapp worked at Lumen Christi High School in Jackson.

In 2013, two victims came forward with their allegations against Rapp, who was already serving time on similar charges in Oklahoma.

Eventually, more victims came forward.

Michigan Attorney General's office

A former priest, teacher and wrestling coach at a Michigan Catholic school has been charged with sexually assaulting several boys more than three decades ago.

State Attorney General Bill Schuette says 75-year-old James Rapp was arraigned Thursday in Jackson District Court on 13 counts of criminal sexual conduct.
Schuette says the investigation started in 2013, when two men came forward with allegations of past abuse.

Rapp was assigned to Jackson Lumen Christi High School at the time. He was told to leave in 1987, following allegations a student was molested.

Rapp was sentenced to prison in 1999 for sexually abusing teenage boys in Oklahoma.

He was jailed Thursday pending a June 26 preliminary examination. He’s being held on a $1 million bond.  

Oklahoma Dept of Corrections

James Francis Rapp spent six years as a teacher and wrestling coach at Lumen Christi High School in Jackson during the 1980’s. 

It was during that time that prosecutors allege the former Catholic priest sexually assaulted several young boys.