Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- There's a tick boom in Michigan - Here are 5 things you should know
- Students aren’t leaving Michigan football - Michigan football is leaving them
- The 6 most dangerous neighborhoods in Michigan
- The 15 Michigan schools running the biggest deficits
- You need to see these photos of the pet coke piles in Detroit
Mon March 14, 2011
Buy Detroit effort hopes to spur city's economy
Three major Detroit institutions are looking to leverage their spending to give a boost to the city’s economy.
So far, the three institutions have shifted about $400,000 to Detroit businesses, says Lisa Prasad is with U3 Ventures, a firm that's helping with the project.
"The number may be very small at the moment compared to their overall procurement, but we think the growth will be exponential once we really get it institutionalized."
Prasad says food is one thing all three institutions have been able to buy more locally.
Combined, the university and health systems spend $1.6 billion a year.