Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Budget deficit forcing school officials to close Albion High School
- The top 10 high schools in Michigan (according to two magazines)
- You have to see this stunning video of Michigan's Northern Lights
- Are people in Ironwood really afraid of wolves? (part 2)
- The 15 Michigan schools running the biggest deficits
Tue September 13, 2011
A conversation with Mayor Dave Bing, "Detroit is coming back"
The city of Detroit is in the news very often and rarely with good news. Declines in population, and a troubled school district are just two of the stories that are plastered across newspapers and reported on in the national media. At the same time, stories about young people and artists moving into the city have also gained national attention.
Michigan Radio's Jennifer White spoke with Mayor Bing about what he's doing to help brighten the city's future.
"The recurring story about the plight of Detroit is something that we are not going to fix overnight.”
Mayor Bing says, "Detroit is coming back." He adds new companies are moving into the downtown and midtown areas, and he says the Riverfront is a great asset. Bing also says there is too much focus on the negative. He hopes people will look at the positive things happening in the city, and he invites people to come see for themselves.