Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- There's a tick boom in Michigan - Here are 5 things you should know
- Students aren’t leaving Michigan football - Michigan football is leaving them
- The 6 most dangerous neighborhoods in Michigan
- The 15 Michigan schools running the biggest deficits
- You need to see these photos of the pet coke piles in Detroit
Tue October 11, 2011
It's time to get your flu shot (and your kid's too)
Michigan health officials say it’s time to get your flu shot. And they want your children vaccinated too.
You might think flu season is still months away. But you’d be wrong. State health officials say there have already been two confirmed influenza cases in Michigan this year.
"Both of those cases did match the components that were in the vaccine for this year," says Dean Sienko, the interim Chief Medical Executive at the Michigan Department of Human Services.
State health officials are putting extra emphasis on getting children vaccinated against the flu this year. Just over half the children between the ages of 6 months to 4 years old get vaccinated in Michigan. That’s well below the nation average. In fact, Michigan’s ranks fifth from the bottom among the 50 states.