Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- There's a tick boom in Michigan - Here are 5 things you should know
- Students aren’t leaving Michigan football - Michigan football is leaving them
- The 6 most dangerous neighborhoods in Michigan
- The 15 Michigan schools running the biggest deficits
- You need to see these photos of the pet coke piles in Detroit
Tue April 26, 2011
Third high-tech battery plant opening in West Michigan
Another advanced battery manufacturing plant is getting ready to open in West Michigan.
LG Chem will be opening in Holland later this year. It’s hosting a job fair today to fill 100 open positions with the company.
Two other advanced battery makers have also recently set up shop in West Michigan.
Jeremy Hagemeyer is with LG Chem.
"From the standpoint of locating in Michigan, you know Michigan made it attractive for us and we wanted to certainly be near to the automotive companies. So it made sense for a number of reasons, including the workforce."
The plant is getting about half of its construction costs covered by the federal government. LG-Chem is hiring now for jobs they describe as highly skilled. Those hired will make between 11 and 14 and-a-half dollars an hour.
-Sarah Alvarez, Michigan Radio Newsroom